An automotive battery is a rechargeable battery that supplies electrical energy to a motor vehicle and its main purpose is to start the engine. The average car battery lasts three to six years, but extreme cold and poor maintenance can shorten your car battery’s lifespan, leading to increased breakdowns and damage to other systems. Here are four warning signs that your car battery may need to be replaced:
Your vehicle switch on slowly when trying to start
- You hear a clicking noise when you turn on the ignition
- Your vehicle has stalled
- The headlights dim when you are idling and brighten when accelerate
Be sure your battery is in a good condition – have your tech check your battery or check it yourself. Here are some tips when handling the battery
*These tips DO NOT apply to the electric or hybrid vehicle battery systems
- Keep your battery and case clean. Dirt and other deposits can
prematurely corrode battery terminals.
- Check the cables to make sure they are firmly attached to the auto battery terminals.
- Always disconnect your battery’s negative cable first and reattach it last.
- Charge in a well-ventilated area. The process of charging a
battery releases highly flammable hydrogen.
- Handle batteries carefully. A cracked case could spill harmful chemicals and cause severe burns and/or blindness.
- Dispose of a battery in accordance with provincial, territorial, and/or local regulations.
Good Tech Auto offers wide range of auto batteries. If you have a question or your car battery needs to be checked/ replaced call us at (416)739-1717 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.